Huge thank you to NY Giants Running Back Rashad Jennings for dropping off dozens of autographed prizes for the students participating in the reading challenge. The program kicks off November 1, 2015!
Rashad Jennings – RB for NY Giants – Visits Staten Island Reading Challenge Programs and Markham Gardens’ Little Free Library – 9/29/2015
HUGE thank you to Mr. Rashad Jennings, Running Back for the NY Giants, for coming to visit us in Staten Island this past Tuesday with Ms. Christina Hovestadt the Director of his Foundation. As most of you know, HEALTH for Youths is honored to function as the NY Coordinator for the Rashad Jennings Reading Challenge.
Mr. Jennings met with 3rd and 5th graders at PS18, unveiled the Little Free Library at Markham Gardens that we built with HEALTH for Youths students and SI Makerspace, and delivered dozens of signed autographed NFL “swag” including cleats, autographs and gloves. These items will be prizes for the Rashad Jennings Foundation Reading Challenge which kicks off November 1st.
Big thank you to Markham Gardens, PS18 and UAU-Beacon for making the visit a BIG success!!!
We are looking forward to the reading program and working with Mr. Jennings and his foundation!
Link to NY1 story on visit: http://www.ny1.com/nyc/staten-island/news/2015/09/29/ny-giants-star-unveils–little-free-library-.html
Work Learn Grown Program through DYCD on November 1, 2015 – H.E.A.L.T.H for Youths will Participate!!
Hello everyone! We are please (thrilled, totally excited, elated!) to announce that the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is expanding to be a year long program. The name of this program is Work Learn Grown. BIG thank you to Brian Licata for inviting us to participate in this program!
A few details:
– The program is for young people ages 14-24.
– The application goes live this Monday. You can click on the link below to apply. Students interested in working with H.E.A.L.T.H for Youths should click on United Activities as their Provider.
– The program is 24 weeks starting November 1st and going to May 1st (2016). Students will be paid $8.75 and hour until December 1st when they will be paid $9 per hours.
– Students work between 6-10 hours/week.
– You HAVE to have worked through SYEP or another city agency over the 2015 summer in order to be eligible. If you did not work for SYEP or another city agency this past summer you are not eligible for this program.
– Our organization will recommend students that we worked with over the summer to this program. By the way, if you’ve been VOLUNTEERING with us over the last couple of months since SYEP ended, you’ll definitely be getting a recommendation from us. Students – you know who you are on that one!
Please see the attached flyer for additional details. Looking forward to participating in this wonderful program!!
H.E.A.L.T.H for Youths invited to attend Sphinx Virtuosi at Carnegie Hall concert series – Still time to register!
Join us in celebrating the Sphinx Virtuosi at Carnegie Hall concert series!
This performance will feature the critically acclaimed all Black and Latino Sphinx Virtuosi, a conductor-less ensemble comprising alumni of the Sphinx Competition. Last year’s inspiring concert sold out to an audience of nearly 3,000 and The New York Times described the 2012 performances as “fiery” and “expressively shaped.”
Wednesday, October 14 at 6:00 P.M.
Isaac Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage at Carnegie Hall
Click on the link below to register. Tickets are complimentary. Thank you to New York Restoration Project for making this event possible!
Please click on the link below to see our upcoming events and projects:
Click on the links below for our upcoming gardening days with students, explorers, officers and the community:
120th Precinct Schedule: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/health-for-youths-120th-precinct-gardening-project-tickets-15338593145